Parent Meeting Notes 8.22.21
Boulder Ballet Mission Statement
Boulder Ballet delivers excellence in artistic expression and ignites a passion for dance through cutting-edge performance, high-caliber training, inclusivity, and community outreach.
Boulder Ballet Values
Dance is Transformative
Ballet is a profound vehicle for creative self-expression and joy and can provide life-altering impact to those who experience and engage with its power.
Both Rigor and Play are Valuable
Within excellence of training, education and performance, playfulness and rigor create a balanced environment of tenacity and fun.
We Champion Each Other
We support, listen and lift one another up– helping each other as staff, faculty, students and board members to be our best selves and achieve Boulder Ballet’s mission.
Authentic Relationships Matter
The relationships between our artists, patrons and partners are key to our success. These relationships are symbiotic and create a rich and fulfilling community, spreading the love and impact of our art.
Dance Supports Emotional and Physical Well-Being
Through personal expression and physical movement, dance supports individual health and well-being.
Diversity Makes Dance Better
Diversity of perspectives, ideas, life experience, talent, and culture enriches the artistry and practice of dance. We seek, celebrate and include that richness.
Dance is for all
Creating an accessible and inclusive community that welcomes individuals of all races, ethnicities, genders, sexual orientations, ages, socioeconomic backgrounds, religions, abilities and body types is at the heart of the life-altering power of dance.
- Welcome & introductions of staff – Lizanne McAdams-Graham (School Director) Beth Litz, (Office Manager), Ana Claire (previous School Director and now full-time faculty), Lance Hardin (Artistic Director), Jamie Adams, (Deputy Director)
- As we begin our new semester and move into the fall, we are committed to making BB a safe place for our families and faculty to dance. Masks are required for all students and faculty even if you are vaccinated. We will continue to closely monitor local and national safety standards and will move to socially distant and zoom classes as needed. We do promise to communicate closely if any changes occur. Please keep your children home if they are sick and communicate any potential illness or exposure to Beth. We appreciate your communication and commitment to keep our community healthy and dancing!
How to get involved as a parent
- BB is a 501c3 non-profit which means that a large part of our income is contributed – based on individual donors, corporate sponsorships and granting organizations. If you would like to support Boulder Ballet’s growth and development by making a donation please visit https://www.coloradogives.org/index.php?section=organizations&action=newDonation&fwID=27970 or contact email@example.com for more information on matching grants, corporate sponsorships and more.
- Colorado Gives – Tuesday Dec 7th – Great time to give – percentage match from First Bank
- Fundraising committee – if you have a skill in fundraising and want to join the committee, please reach out.
- Boulder Ballet has launched Season tickets for the first time this year. They are still one sale until Aug 31: https://boulderballet.org/season-subscriptions/
- Parent Liaison – works directly with the school director and myself to look at challenges and successes within the school. If you would like to be a parent liaison, please contact Claudia, we are looking for two more!
- Feedback form – if you have questions, concerns, compliments or complaints please use our feedback form on the website. This comes directly to me and I am happy to work through anything that arises: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScjvMY_NoG5jfB0FzHYtTWE52pcHZtWHL8I3L_uKRm8qGvuzw/viewform
Notes from Lizanne McAdams-Graham, School Director
- Boulder Ballet follows BBSD school calendar for closures/holidays.
- Please don’t miss class (please stay home if you are sick or have been exposed to Covid). Missed classes can make-up one level below their level. Must contact Beth beforehand to alert child’s absence and to find appropriate make-up class.
- Commitment to attend every class. Instructors are building on a comprehensive curriculum. Children who miss class will fall behind and not allow class to make substantial progress.
- If your child is extremely sore or they express they do not want to take class, they are required to attend their class to watch and take notes. Please encourage your child to take class and workout sore muscles. Epsom salt bathes are highly recommended.
- Students must come prepared with ballet hair, clean tights/shoes/leotard with an excellent and focused attitude. No jewelry/gum/watches will be allowed during class. Hair should be in a ponytail with barrettes or be in a bun; there is a tutorial on how to do this: https://boulderballet.org/support-info-faq/
- Dress code: Levels 1-7 – pink tights with feet, under a black leotard.
- Pink ballet shoes – split soles for Levels 5 and above.
- Dance attire for Pre-Professional/Level 5, 6 and 7 – black leotard and pink tights for Ballet. Please try to refrain from excessive back straps and excessive material so the instructor can better see child’s body for placement. Dancers may wear colored leotards during the last week of each month in ballet class.
- Dance attire for Contemporary, Jazz, Hip Hop strongly encourage black tights, colored leotards. No pink tights in these classes.
- Etiquette – Always show respect to teachers, students, everyone else using the building.
- Dancers are encouraged to support each other’s successes and treat each other with respect and kindness. The studio is a dancers’ safe space.
- There is a strict policy of zero tolerance on bullying, body shaming and disrespect towards fellow students or teachers. Parents will be notified, and appropriate action will be taken. Please notify Beth or fill out the feedback form online.
- Come to class focused, open to change and growth, ready to challenge yourself.
- As always, we want older students to be role models for the younger dancers.
- No chatting in class.
- Clean up after yourselves – don’t leave wrappers, band aids, water bottles, etc. laying around – put it in the trash.
- Performance opportunities for the season – Storybook, Choreography Showcase, Year End Student Showcase, BB2 (upper students)
- Coaching for upper level for YAGP competition – will notify interested students by end of the second week of class. Coaching begins Sept. 22 7-8pm and Saturday, 10:30-12. YAGP competition is held Feb. 26-28th, 2021. Cost for coaching is $895
Notes from Beth, BB School Registrar and Office Manager
- I handle all class registrations, payment plans, refunds, studio rentals, anything class related. If your student is going to be absent or you need to schedule a make-up class, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or extension 1.
- I can be reached by phone or email. My usual office hours are 11- 6 pm.
- Please email me with any student absences.
- Quick plug for Boulder Body Wear if your dancer needs any leotards, shoes, etc. They are located at 2859 Arapahoe Rd., Lafayette. Mention you have a dancer at Boulder Ballet to receive a 15% discount.
- Please note that there are no classes on Monday, Sept. 7th for Labor Day. We are closed Nov. 22-27 for Thanksgiving break and Dec. 20-Jan. 1 for Winter Break.
- Put your students’ names on everything!
- Lost & found for clothing and water bottles are in each studio.
- I currently have BB dance bags, t-shirts, jackets, sweatpants, and hoodies in my office for sale. Email me if you are interested in purchasing anything and I can arrange to get it to you. We will soon be putting merchandise online for purchase.