Parent Meeting Notes 8.29.20
Notes from Claudia Anata Hubiak, Executive Director
- Welcome and thank you to all our families returning and new.
- Staff introductions. We have recently had some organizational restructuring but all our faces will still be familiar! Ana Claire School Director, Lance Hardin Artistic Director, Amy Earnest is our Program Director, and Beth Litz is our Office Manager.
- Parent liaisons – truly a helpful way to expand communication and connection within the organization. You are our touchstones to the school and to the community and I find it very helpful to keep in touch. Currently I have one parent Liaison — Carolyn Aibel — as two of my parents have graduated and moved on. I would like 2-3 more. Please contact me with any interest. Update – Crystal Zeilbeck and Kristin Nelson are new parent liaisons, thank you! Please reach out to either me or our liaisons with your input, complaints or compliments😊.
- As requested, we have all the info for classes up on one page! Please visit: https://boulderballet.org/fall-session-zoom-resources/
- As many of you know Boulder Ballet is a non-profit that relies on donations and grants. If any parents would be interested in being on the fundraising committee, we will be deciding on a monthly meeting schedule at the next board meeting and we would love to include you. Next week we will be launching a silent auction to raise funds to assist in faculty salaries through the Covid pandemic, our tuition assistance program and season endeavors. Many of the items are accessible in these times, such as private lessons, virtual ballerina birthday parties, photographer portraits from the city’s best dance photographers and even the ability to commission dances for the professional company that will live on the website and hopefully someday soon on the stage. Look out for silent auction links in mid-September!
- Colorado Gives Day (Tues., December 8, 2020) is an annual statewide online giving program and is a great time to donate to Boulder Ballet because your donation goes farther through a matching program. We receive additional funds from FirstBank through a pro-rated match. More information to come.
- In these times we are always looking for ways to engage, communicate and stay connected. Please feel free to reach out if you are interested in volunteering, supporting or have any questions or concerns.
- Please use our complaint form, located on our website under the School tab if you have any problems or concerns. This form is sent directly to me and I will look into the matter.
Notes from Ana Claire, School Director
- Commitment to attending class, coming to class prepared (dressed, water bottle)
- Getting to class on time is of the utmost importance. On time means at least 5 minutes before your class! The Dairy is not open and we are working hard to start class in the studio on time so please arrive early to get your temp checked outside your assigned doors. If you are late, you will not be able to get into class. All door assignments and zoom links can be found here: https://boulderballet.org/fall-session-zoom-resources/
- Keeping physically distant, wearing masks, washing masks frequently and/or alternating masks when sweaty. See Covid policy here: https://boulderballet.org/boulder-ballet-covid-19-safe-practices-for-health-and-wellness/
- Safety precautions we are taking in the studios and buildings: small classes, masks, air purifiers, more outside air flow, temp checks, sanitizer
- If you are not well please stay home! We now have the option for kids to zoom classes. This allows everyone to take class.
Nutcracker Suite: We have decided to put together a Nutcracker Suite film for the holidays, complete with costumes. Students in levels 4A and up are invited to participate. There will not be an audition this year, just a sign up. Sign up deadline is Monday September 14, rehearsals begin Saturday September 26. Please sign up here: Nutcracker Suite Sign up
- Rehearsals will be held 1:30-4:00 pm at The Dairy. Details to follow. Please be available for all rehearsals.
- There is a $75 performance fee, due at the first rehearsal.
- Like Storybook, dancers will find out their part and rehearsal schedule on the web page after September 20.
- Once the film is complete Boulder Ballet will have a zoom holiday party to celebrate!
If you are zoom-only and would still like to participate, please film yourself and your family dressed up and enjoying some food/drink/dancing and send to Ana@boulderballet.org. She will submit the footage to be included in Felix’s editing process.
We are considering other student performance opportunities and will alert parents to any opportunities as they arise.
Coaching for YAGP competition. Interested students will be notified by end of second week of class. Coaching schedule: Sept 16–March 3; Wednesday, 6:30–8 pm and Saturday, Noon–1:00 pm. YAGP will be Feb. 26–28, 2021. Cost for coaching is $850.
Notes from Lance Hardin, Artistic Director
- Always show respect to teachers, students, everyone else using the building.
- This is dancers’ safe space.
- Bullying of any sort is unacceptable and should be reported immediately to the teacher or BB office (Beth) and a complaint form on our website should be filled out.
- Come to class focused, open to change and growth, ready to challenge yourself.
- As always, we want older students to be role models for the younger dancers.
- Don’t miss class unless absolutely necessary.
- No need for chatting although this has been greatly improved with masks.
- Clean up after yourselves — don’t leave wrappers, band aids, etc. laying around — put it in the trash.
- Levels 1–7 — pink tights with feet, under a black leotard. Level 7 dancers may wear a solid colored leotard of their choice. Pink ballet shoes — split soles ok for Levels 5 and above.
- Hair should be in a ponytail with barrettes or be in a bun; there is a tutorial on how to do this: https://boulderballet.org/support-info-faq/ .
- Update on professional company – two films coming out in fall and winter created by Lance and film maker Ray Bailey. Collaboration with the Boulder Phil for their virtual season. Performing in Boulder Outdoor Festival in Sept.
Notes from Beth, BB School Registrar and Office Manager
- I can be reached by phone or email. My usual office hours are 11 am – 6 pm.
- I handle all class registrations, payment plans, refunds, studio rentals, anything class related. If your student is going to be absent or you need to schedule a make up class, please contact me at email@example.com or extension 1.
- If your dancer is scheduled to be in the studio and is not going to come in or plans to zoom instead, please let me know by 2:30 pm that day so I can let his/her teacher know.
- For additional information, our Student Handbook is on our website so please take a look at it if you are new.
- Please note that there are no classes on Monday, Sept. 7 for Labor Day.
- Put your students’ names on everything!
- Lost & found for clothing and water bottles are in each studio.
- I currently have BB t-shirts, jackets, sweatpants, and hoodies in my office for sale. Email me if you are interested in purchasing anything and I can arrange to get it to you. We will soon be putting merchandise online for purchase.
Notes from Amy, BB Program Director
- What to expect from zoom lessons – every other week, teacher is working with students on zoom and in-studio simultaneously
- Boulder Ballet School has launched a Pre-Professional program for the 2020/2021 school year. Students are eligible starting at level 4B. In addition to their regular leveled classes, students enrolled in the program will receive 14 hours of additional training per week, including classical ballet technique and pointe classes, supplemented with character, modern, jazz, contemporary, and conditioning classes. Pre-pro students take all evening classes for their level in addition to the afternoon program. There are still a few spots open if your child would like to join. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Website for Harlequin dance mat. $85 for a mat 6.5′ by 3.25′: https://us.harlequinfloors.com/en/shop/home-studio/harlequin-dance-mat/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0o7-wavb6wIVk8DACh0xKwOyEAAYASABEgKyXPD_BwE